Monday, February 22, 2010

75-80% of Cubs News is About Soriano's Knee

Nothing pushes Ted Lilly's gimpy shoulder, Angel Guzman's secret knee surgery and personal family tragedy, and the anticipated battle for world domination between Ryan Theriot and Starlin Castro to the back page like a little sky-is-falling panic created by a comment from Alfonso Soriano.

The news of the day surrounds Alfonso Soriano's knee and how it is still not 100% after season-ending surgery last September.  As Bruce Levine reports:

"I don't feel 100 percent because I'm not running 100 percent," Soriano said on Monday. "I'm just running 75 to 80 percent, and I don't feel nothing that hurts. When I start running 100 percent I want to know how it feels."

Way to kill the happy buzz left over from the MOST TREMENDOUSLY TREMENDOUS HOCKEY GAME EVER PLAYED IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!!  Now, when people ask where I was during the Improbability on Ice, all I'll remember is that it was shortly before I found out that Soriano didn't report to camp ready to sprint around the bases at full speed on his first day after five whole months of rest and rehabilitation.  I am barely able to type as I lie here in a fetal position.

Meanwhile, Carrie Muskat is reporting that the Cubs asked Soriano not to fully run on his knee during the offseason to avoid setbacks.  So if he hasn't run on it, how is he gauging that percentage of recuperation?:

"I say in my mind I'm 80 percent but that's because I'm not doing anything like playing in the field," he said. "When I test it, I hope my knee feels better than I think. I think it's 85 percent. Maybe when I test it, it's 100 percent."

Oh.

When I read that, my brain processed: "Blah blah blah blah blah blah," he said. "Blah blah blah blah. Blah blah. Blah blah blah, it's 100 percent."  So, there you have it.  All better.

That was close.

Up next: Flipping out about Aramis Ramirez's shoulder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The easiest way to comment is to choose the Name/URL option from the Comment As dropdown menu below. You do not need to put in a URL for this option to work.

Sometimes upon submitting the comment, you will get an error saying there is a problem. Submit the comment again and it should work. I am looking into correcting this glitch.