Thursday, September 17, 2009

We Might Not Make the Playoffs Now (But They Can Still Do It!)

Uh oh.  The Cubs seem to have finally found their bats and Rich Harden decides the last two starts would be good to show off his Nuke Laloosh impression.  His control was all over the place and when he did throw a strike, the Brewers were hitting him like Kevin Costner was behind the plate telling them what was coming.

The really stupid part about being a Cubs fan is that I was genuinely disappointed the Cubs didn't win the game last night.  For as much as I write about how a Cubs comeback would be a phenomenon of such magnitude, it would rival me winning the lottery, getting struck by lightning, and then getting eaten by sharks, as a Cubs fan, there is that tiny voice that keeps telling my brain how f---ing cool it would be if it happened.

For years, I have searched for something that would be capable of either shutting up or drowning out the tiny voice.  The tiny voice is a troublemaker and always makes me do things against my better judgement.  It's the tiny voice that makes me stay at a baseball game in the cold and rain when the Cubs are down by ten in the sixth inning because I wouldn't want to miss a great comeback.

It was the tiny voice that implored me to buy a scorecard for virtually every single one of the games I attended for the past 10 years so that I could have a souvenir of a potential no-hitter.

It is the tiny voice that still is whispering how much momentum the Cubs can still get by going into St. Louis and sweeping the Cardinals.

I suppose it could be worse.  Some people have tiny voices that tell them that they are too fat and they should go throw up.  Some have tiny voices that whisper to them that blackjack is a beatable game if you have the right system.  Some have tiny voices that convince them that they are fine to drive after downing half a bottle of whiskey. So, all in all, a voice that once convinced me to purchase a Matt Clement jersey so I would own the entire rotation isn't the worst thing in the world.

But it sure is annoying to know that I will still be peeking at scenarios over the next week or so.  I'll still be watching what the Braves, Marlins, Rockies, and Giants are doing in their games.  I'll still be depressed the day the math catches up with the Cubs.

The Aisle 424 Miracle Watch board has the Cubs down to about 1% to make the playoffs.  I figure two more losses should seal the Cubs doom, but wouldn't it be cool if they didn't lose again?

1 comments:

Arnold said...

Ha!!
"So, all in all, a voice that once convinced me to purchase a Matt Clement jersey so I would own the entire rotation isn't the worst thing in the world."

Post a Comment

The easiest way to comment is to choose the Name/URL option from the Comment As dropdown menu below. You do not need to put in a URL for this option to work.

Sometimes upon submitting the comment, you will get an error saying there is a problem. Submit the comment again and it should work. I am looking into correcting this glitch.