Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hey Look! A New Post!

You may have noticed a lack of posts lately.  That has been a combination of being kind of busy with other things going on, but also a complete lack of anything worth writing in regards to the Cubs.

The Cubs have failed completely in their attempts to get me to be even a little optimistic about them.  At this point, I have not regretted my decision to not renew my season tickets even a tiny little bit.  So am I just a hopeless curmudgeon or am I just a realist that is depressed about being at the beginning of a long period of the Cubs consistently looking up in the standings at their Central division rivals on a regular basis?

I don't know, and what is worse, I don't even really care enough to do the research necessary to back up my ill feelings about the team.

When baseball actually starts, I'm sure I'll get re-interested in how things are going, but for now the assurances that Matt Garza is the ace the Cubs have been missing isn't enough for me to care.  I'm not excited to see Matt Garza pitch.  I could give a shit if I ever see Matt Garza pitch at this point.  I'd rather watch Cashner or any of the other young arms the Cubs have been selling us (and then, for some reason, sticking in the bullpen).

I'm glad Kerry Wood is back, but the guy is a middle reliever now.  How in the world do the Cubs realistically expect me to get excited about a middle reliever?  The nostalgia is great, the memories of Wood striking out 20 or mowing down the Braves in the playoffs are wonderful, but that isn't his role now.  He'll be the guy walking in from the bullpen in the 7th or 8th innings before handing the ball over to Marmol to trigger the blaring of "Go Cubs Go" by registering the final out.

This is what they are going to sell for the same price as last year? At least last year, they were supposed to be a contending team.  This year, they aren't contending without a miracle and they aren't rebuilding efficiently, thus requiring a similar miracle to depend on this farm system to replenish the team as veterans are sent on their way.

So that's where I am right now.  Hopefully something interesting will happen soon (a small piece of Wrigley's roof blowing off does not qualify) and I can write about more than why I haven't been writing alot lately.

6 comments:

Sheridan said...

You're welcome to use the "hopeless curmudgeon" moniker if you like but I have a good feeling about this year. I'll get into the why as spring training gets going...It's really no fun to be a curmudgeon anyway. T from BOS

MattA said...

That's how I feel. At the time of the convention I wondered who people were going to see. There aren't any players that hold any interest for me. I figured the Cub personality most talked about at the convention was a dead one, Mr. Santo.

Aisle 424 said...

Matt, the "personality" of this team seems like a good one. Wood is great to have around, Dempster is always a good interview, Zambrano never ceases to be entertaining. Plus Fernando Perez is all kinds of awesome. There are lots of interesting characters on the team, but I just don't think they will be very good at baseball, which is really all I care about when I'm plunkng down the kind of money the Ricketts are asking for.

If they do somehow pull a decent season out of their ass, this will be a VERY fun team to watch on and off the field.

Aisle 424 said...

By the way, folks, if you haven't already discovered Tim Sheridan's Boys of Spring blog, you should check that out as spring training gets started. He always has great photos and interesting takes as the team prepares for the season in Mesa. I link to it over on the left.
<<<<<<<<<

Southside Phil said...

Cubs suck.

Aisle 424 said...

You're preaching to the choir, Phil.

Post a Comment

The easiest way to comment is to choose the Name/URL option from the Comment As dropdown menu below. You do not need to put in a URL for this option to work.

Sometimes upon submitting the comment, you will get an error saying there is a problem. Submit the comment again and it should work. I am looking into correcting this glitch.